EOL Project Title: MIT D-Lab Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship
Term UROP is offered: Fall 2020
Compensation: Paid ($13.50/hr) or credit
Supervisor/Contact: Nancy Adams
In support of the MIT D-Lab Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group, the student will create a system to review, code, and analyze three to five years (or more) of MIT D-Lab staff meeting notes to map participation in meetings to demographic characteristics.
The student will help D-Lab answer questions such as:
- Who makes presentations?
- Whose comments get recorded in notes?
- Who is appreciated?
- Who facilitates meetings?
- Who attends meetings?
- What does this tell D-Lab about its success or lack of success in staff inclusivity vis-a-vis staff meetings?
Additionally, the student may design and run focus groups with MIT students, both those who have experience with D-Lab and those who don't on experiences and/or perceptions about D-Lab's work with regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and analyze and report on the conversations.
- A strong interest in learning more about MIT D-Lab's mission to work with people around the world to develop and advance collaborative approaches and practical solutions to global poverty challenges.
- A strong interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with D-Lab as a student or UROP useful but not required.
- Experience organizing, coding, and analyzing qualitative date desired (or interest in learning).
- Experience designing surveys and/or focus group question sequences desired (or interest in learning).
- Candidate should be both detail-oriented and personable.
This is a paid opportunity at $13.50/hour with an expectation that the student will spend between 80-140 hours on the project over the course of the semester.
Apply by September 18, 2020
Interested candidates should email Nancy Adams, MIT D-Lab Communications Officer with the subject line “D-Lab Impact Intern.”